Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My Ethnicity

I saw this August 8, 2009 post on Cheryl Fleming Palmer's Blog "Heritage Happens." It was about ethnicity and calculating ones ethnicity by looking at your 8 great grandparents' ethnicity and giving each a value of 12.5%. This works with relative newcomers to the USA, however, 7 of my 8 great grandparents were born in Indiana.

  • 3 - Howard County
  • 1 - Miami County
  • 1 - Clinton County
  • 1 - Pike County
  • 1 - Daviess County
  • 1 Bas-Rhin, France

So, that would mean I have 12.5% French

Aside from that French line, the next generation back, great-great grandparents were born -

  • Indiana - 7
  • Virginia - 4
  • Ohio - 2
  • North Carolina - 1

So no new ethnicity to add in that generation.

The next generation is no better in revealing ethnicity. (3rd great grandparents)

  • Virginia - 10
  • Pennsylvania - 6
  • Kentucky - 5
  • North Carolina - 4
  • Indiana - 1
  • unknown (US) 1
  • Tennessee - 1
  • Maryland - 1
The previous generation (4th great grandparents) reveal some German, Swiss, a Scot and an Irish. I still have many things to discover about many of these ancestors and find the immigrant and document it. Although this little experiment did not give me the results I was hoping for, it did reveal some areas I need to work on.

What is your ethnicity? Try this and learn or be satisfied that you are an American of the Heinz 57 variety.

Happy hunting! Debby

No comments:

Post a Comment